Friday, September 16, 2011

Willpower & Won't Power

When you have a lot on your to-do list, sometimes the hardest thing to do is stick to your to-don't list.  That's when willpower is really more about "won't power".  When we bought TOPH, we knew there was a very long to-do list, and we had to make a to-don't list to keep ourselves on track.

As a passionate digger of dirt (and soon-to-be-official Master Gardener), I would like nothing more than to focus on, and obsess about, our neglected yard and escapist landscape and grimmest-of-the-grim absentee gardens. But I have sworn off proactive gardening on our property until the Spring of 2013.  I am limited to clearing brush, cutting firewood, preparing for goats and grading in some minor drainage-required areas.  Oh, and some very selective transplantation and/or removal of "vintage" plantings that are impinging on the solidarity of our pieced-granite foundation and deteriorating sills.

My hubby is sacrificing too.  And, honestly, he's fighting genetics to stay on the wagon, so I really can't complain too much about my clean fingernails.  I married a tinkerer-packrat and the poor fellow will also have to wait awhile to have his dream: a barn.  In the meantime he will have a workshop in the basement and disparate storage in hidey-holes around the house and some no-power, no-heat space in the too-small, not-tall garage, but it's not the same.  And I get that.

I have to say that living without our nearest and dearest habit-hobbies is forcing us to really think and plan and mull over what we will eventually do.  Time will tell if their absence makes our hearts fonder and goals sweeter. I'm guessing YES!

In the meantime, we are progressing on all of the many before-the-snow-flies necessities around TOPH.  And we are available to consult on any of your yard and/or gardening projects and vehicle projects (land or sea).  We are living vicariously through you.  Don't be shy!

No comments:

Post a Comment